By Alain Daniélou
Shiva and Dionysus are the Hindu and Greek gods of magical energy, intoxication, ecstatic sexuality, and transcendence who start up us into communion with the inventive forces of existence. Revealing the earliest resources of the traditions of Shiva and Dionysus, Alain Danielou reconstructs the cloth of our old courting with construction, vividly touching on practices that have been saw from the Indus Valley to the coasts of Portugal not less than six thousand years ago.
Read Online or Download Gods of Love and Ecstasy: The Traditions of Shiva and Dionysus PDF
Best hinduism books
India is greater than a state country. it's also a distinct civilization with philosophies and cosmologies which are markedly specified from the dominant tradition of our occasions - the West. India's non secular traditions spring from dharma which has no particular similar in Western frameworks. regrettably, within the rush to have a good time the growing to be approval for India at the international level, its civilizational matrix is being co-opted into Western universalism, thereby diluting its area of expertise and capability.
"Introducing Hinduism" bargains a consultant to the foremost philosophical, literary, mythological and cultural traditions of this terribly different religion. It untangles the complexities of Hinduism's gods and goddesses, its caste approach and its perspectives on intercourse, daily life and asceticism. This paintings solutions questions together with: Why do Hindus revere the cow?
The Goddess Lives in Upstate big apple is a profile of a flourishing Hindu temple within the city of Rush, long island. The temple, confirmed through a charismatic nonbrahman Sri Lankan Tamil often called Aiya, sticks out for its mix of orthodox ritual meticulousness and socioreligious iconoclasm. The energy with which devotees perform ritual themselves and their prepared entry to the deities contrasts sharply with ritual actions at so much North American Hindu temples, the place (following the standard Indian customized) ritual is played simply via clergymen and entry to the hugely sanctified divine photographs is heavily guarded.
- Bhagavadgita (Dover Thrift Editions)
- Hinduism Today: An Introduction (Religion Today)
- Hindu Narratives on Human Rights
- An Introduction to Tantric Philosophy: The Paramārthasāra of Abhinavagupta with the Commentary of Yogarāja
- Encountering Kali: In the Margins, at the Center, in the West
- Chinnamasta: The Aweful Buddhist & Hindu Tantric Goddess
Additional resources for Gods of Love and Ecstasy: The Traditions of Shiva and Dionysus
The maiden breaketh not the law of Order, day by day coming to the place appointed. 13. Obedient to the rein [mV] of Law Eternal give us each thought that more and more shall bless us.. . 4 (Oldenberg) 7. I catch hold of the two divine Hotrs first1. The seven strong ones rejoice according to their wont. Teaching the right, they proclaim the right, the guardians of law, contemplating the law. 28 (Griffith) 4. He made them flow, the Aditya, the Sustainer: the rivers run by V aruna’s commandment.
2. May the auspicious favour of the gods be ours, on us descend the bounty of the righteous gods. The friendship of the gods have we devoutly sought; so may the gods extend our life that we may live. 3. We call them higher with a hymn of olden time, Bhaga, the friendly Daksa, Mitra, Aditi, Aryaman, Varuna, Soma, the Aivins. May Sarasvati,1 aus picious, grant felicity. 4. May the Wind waft to us that pleasant medicine, may Earth our Mother give it, and our Father Heaven, And the joy-giving stones that press the soma’s juice.
5. He who is not to be kept back like the roar of the Maruts,2 like an army that is sent forward, like the thunderbolt of heaven— Agni eats with his sharp jaws, he chews, he throws down the forests as a warrior throws down his foes. 6. Would Agni eagerly come to our hymn? Would He the Vasu together with the Vasus fulfil our desire? Will He, the driver, stir our prayers that they may be successful? (Thus thinking) I praise Him whose face is bright, with this my prayer. 7. He who has kindled him strives towards Agni as towards M itra (or, towards a friend)— (to Agni) whose face shines with ghee, the charioteer of Rta.